Saturday, March 16, 2013

FREE Script Notes from SCRIPTMONK! (that's right. free. read on for details)


As some of you already know (or can easily tell from the colorful banners adorning the sides of this blog) in late January I published my first book Screenwriting Down to the Atoms. Since then it has been my mission to help developing writers by getting my book and its unique new method under as many noses as possible. For those of you who have supported my efforts thus far, I thank you. Things are going pretty well. Thursday the Kindle version cracked the Top 10 in screenwriting books on Amazon for the first time. (Then it fell down to #24, then back up to #6 today. The Amazon’s rankings algorithm seems to be a mystery to everyone in the world. Things go up and down more often than the stock market.) But for those of you who are still on the fence about my method, I have decided to give things a little nudge with an offer that, considering how much of my personal time and effort will be involved, is pretty insane.

For the zillions of you currently out there working on a screenplay, I am going to give FREE script notes and coverage to the first ten people to order a paperback copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms on Amazon between March 15 through March 31, and send me proof of purchase. This is a service for which I usually charge $50-75, but you can get it at the paperback purchase price of only $12.99.

You can look at this offer in a lot of different ways. You might think of it as buying an incredibly helpful book and getting $75 worth of script notes as a bonus. Or, you might consider it as getting professional coverage for only $12.99, plus a free book to sweeten the deal. Or you might look at it as getting both for one ridiculously low price. Whichever way you look at it, one thing is certain: I am going to be very busy reading scripts for the rest of the month.

Here is how to do it:

1. Order a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms from Amazon.com. (Please note that this offer is currently for paperback copies only, ordered between March 15 and March 31. Though I would love to reward everyone who supports me in any way, my time and resources force me to put limits on this promotion.)

2. Email me at services@scriptmonkindustries.com with the words “Promo offer” in the subject line. As proof of purchase, please attach a screenshot of your Amazon.com receipt. (There are instructions on how to create a screenshot below.)

3. I will return your email with a short questionnaire asking for some helpful information on you and the script you would like to submit. (This is something I send to all people who request script notes.) Please answer the questionnaire in a return email with your screenplay attached as a .pdf document.

That’s it. I will read the scripts in the order they are I received. Barring some sort of unforeseen disaster, I intend to finish the tenth and final script by mid-April.



How to take a screenshot as proof of purchase:

For PC users:
Find and open the confirmation email Amazon sends you after making your order. Make sure the important information is centered in the email window and press the “Print Screen” button on your keyboard. The Print Screen button is one of those rarely-used keys on the top of the keyboard next to all the F10, F11, F12 buttons. It may be abbreviated as “PrtSc” or “PrntScr” or something like that.
Next, open the Microsoft Paint program. Paint is a program that comes factory-installed on every PC. Find it under Start > Accessories > Paint. When the program loads, press Ctrl + V on your keyboard, or go to the menus and select Edit > Paste. This pastes the screenshot you took of your Amazon email into body of the program. Press Ctrl + S to save it. This turns the screenshot into a picture file which you can attach to your email.

For Mac users:
For Mac, the process is much simpler. Open and center the Amazon email. Hold down the Command key (that’s the one with the Apple logo on it), plus the Shift key, and then press the number 3. This automatically saves a screenshot onto your desktop as a PNG picture file.

Important Note: I am not trying to scam you for your personal information. I do not WANT your personal information. In fact, it is best for me if I do not see it at all. So, while you have your screenshot open in Microsoft Paint (or if you use Mac, open the screenshot file in an image editor program), take the paintbrush tool and black out any information you would not like a stranger to see. This includes your mailing address, any payment information, any other items you purchased, or even your last name if you are not comfortable giving it. All I really need to see is that you ordered the book, the amount you paid for it, and when it was ordered.



Please remember that I can only do this for the first ten people to send me their proof of purchase. I hate to turn people down, so if you are interested, I suggest you act fast. 

Scribble on.

No comments: